The Austrian Ocean Race Project was launched with a lot of sailing passion and the purchase of the Volvo 65 from the Ocean Race Team Vesta in the summer of 2019. With the participation in the OCEAN RACE, one of the biggest races in the world, they want to promote the Austrian sailing sport, inspire young people and at the same time do something good for the environment. OUR JOURNEY TOGETHER FOR THE PLANET.
The Austrian Ocean Race Project consists of a young and ambitious team of international sailors with an Austrian core, sharing the enthusiasm for big boat sailing. The big goal is the participation of Austria in the famous Ocean Race 2022/23, the world's most extreme race in sailing.
The Austrian Ocean Race Project should be more than a simple sports team. As a strong network, with the major environmental organisations, the Austrian Race Project and Pitter Yachtcharter as well as many other supporters and sponsors want to contribute in protecting the environment together. TO PROTECT WHAT WE LOVE!
Together let's create more awareness for the protection of the environment, focusing on saving the polluted oceans.
- The Ocean Race (formerly Volvo Ocean Race), also known as the “royal league” of regattas, is a sailing regatta that has been held every four years since 1973, and every three years since 2006, and takes participants around the world. The regatta is divided into stages, depending on the number and choice of stage destinations, up to 45,000 nautical miles are covered.
- The new edition of the Ocean Race, starting in Alicante in the fall of 2022, will be sailed with two classes. In addition to the crews on the flying 60-foot IMOCAs, a unit class of VO65 racers, which has now sailed around the world twice in one-design mode, will compete for the top prize.
- For the start of the 14th Ocean Race it is planned that for the first time an Austrian team will attempt the adventure of sailing around the world. The Austrian Race Project wants to participate with their yacht "Sisi" in the class of the Volvo 65 Racer.
- THE OCEAN RACE starts in Europe, leads through the Atlantic, circumnavigates Africa at the Cape of Good Hope, leads through the Indian Ocean over the South Pacific and around Cape Horn to South and North America and from there back to Europe. This time it will be sailed in 8 stages.
- The Austrian team around The Austrian Race Project plans to sail these 8 legs each under the patronage of a major environmental organisation to get heighten the attention for the protection of our oceans.
- With their yacht "Sisi", The Austrian Race Project wants to create a more positive image for sailing and for environmental awareness. These are also the central topics of the Ocean Race, where the environmental idea is also always present.
- Here you can find many more interesting details concerning the environmental projects of The Austrian Race Project and The Ocean Race: >> The environmental idea
- Another focus is on our youth. Johan Salén, the new owner of the Ocean Race, is convinced: "The stars of tomorrow will be born here. With The Austrian Race Project, a team of young dedicated organisers and sailors, will be coming into their own.
- The entire team counts about 30 people from five nations and consists mainly of Austrian top sailors of the National League, Champions League, Youth Americas Cup participants, Olympic sailors and world champions in different boat classes. Julian Kirchner, who is the main initiator of the project, has gathered a very committed and young team around him. Candidate Sailing is also on board as a supporter. The Ocean Race Project is part of the Candidate Sailing team.
- With the Austrian Race Project, the team has taken on a lot. With a good concept and highly motivated, the former accident yacht of Team Vestas, which collided with a fishing freighter in the Ocean Race 2017/18, was purchased and entirely refurbished. In Portopiccolo in Italy, the yacht has also found a new home port.
- Now it is time to leave the old ways and sail to new shores. The first step was taken in October 2019 with the renaming to "Sisi", like the much-loved empress of the former imperial and royal monarchy. A new beginning, the success of which will make all hearts beat faster, just as their famous namesake the Austrian Empress Sisi once did.
- Immediately after the christening with prominent godfathers such as the Carinthian governor and skiing legend Franz Klammer, it was off to the first race, the traditional Barcolana race in the Gulf of Trieste. Numerous other regattas and long-distance tours have already followed and are planned until the start of the Ocean Races in 2022.
- If you've always wanted to be part of a Volvo Ocean Racer, the Austrian Ocean Race Project (TAORP) makes it possible.
- With special try-out days, transfer trips or even the possibility to participate in a regatta with its crew, together with the team of the "Sisi", we can offer you deeper insight into the top league of offshore regatta sailing.
- If you are looking for a challenge, adventure and action, the offshore racer "Sisi" is the right place for you. Information and dates >> Be there, come aboard
- Let's support Austrian sailing and environmental protection together! With numerous cool and high-quality sailing clothes and many other great merchandising items you can show your support for the Austrian Ocean Race Project.
>> Austrian Ocean Race Project Webshop
This page contains links to external websites of "The Austrian Race Project GmbH", on whose contents we have no influence. Therefore, we cannot assume any liability for these external contents. The respective provider or operator is solely responsible for the content of the linked pages.